Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Flat bread with Roses and Chocolate




The We should Cocoa Challenge this month is pairing Chocolate with Roses.

I decided to make flat breads, which are very quick to make as, with no yeast, they don't require a rise.  I saw an amazing savoury flat bread recipe by Smitten Kitchen, and thought it would be cool to make a sweet version with dried roses and a  touch of rose water



I found a really cool tub of beetroot powder on my travels and I thought this would give the bread an earthy texture and a great natural pink colouring



I decided to pair the roses with dark chocolate buttons courtesy of Hotel Chocolat.  They are a bit of a pain when rolling out the dough, but well worth it once cooked.

I normally dry fry flat breads but I thought cooking these in the oven would make more sense as there is chocolate involved - we all know what happens when chocolate meets a direct heat source  - the worst burning smell ever, not as bad as chocolate burning in the microwave but pretty close.

(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen's flatbread recipe, admittedly they are completely different, but I needed it for the flour, oil and water quantities..must try her honey and thyme one - looks really yum!)
Ingredients:
Flat bread
240 grams flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 (4 fl Oz) cup water
2 tsp dried roses
A few drops of rosewater
1/3  2 1/2 fl oz cup sunflower oil
2 tbsp sugar
50 grams good quality chocolate buttons

Method
Preheat the oven to 200oC.  Sift the flour, and baking powder.  Add the sugar and the rest the ingredients.



Separate into four pieces and roll until very thin.  I cut the dough into circle shapes, but this isn't essential.  I just fancied having circle shaped ones.



Place the dough onto a baking sheet and heat for approx 5-10 minutes.  We want these to be fairly crispy but definitely not cremated!

Place on a rack an allow to cool.

A very quick but yummy snack!

4 comments:

  1. What an adventure. How brilliant is that. I'd never have thought of using this combination in bread. It looks really pretty and you get extra (metaphorical) marks for using rose petals too. The beetroot powder looks really interesting. Thanks for taking part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing. I've never seen beetroot powder. Interesting flavour combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a very interesting recipe and one I'd be happy to try at some point. I have some beetroot powder, but have not got round to using it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Thanks A lot about Your Articles ... very Nice
    Articles4Arts
    Acné Traitement

    ReplyDelete