Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Apricot Pull Apart Bread


This is an extremely late post for the July "We Should Cocoa Challenge".  I can't believe I have not posted for two months! 

This recipe is an homage to one of my favourite bloggers, Joy the Baker, who inspired me to create my own blog with her creative recipes and her storytelling.  I was at home recuperating from an illness for a couple of weeks, spending the majority of my time surfing around the net, looking for recipes to make when I was better when I stumbled across Joy's site.  I was inspired by her cooking style and, when I was better, I started to get creative and broaden my cooking horizons.  I was particularly intrigued by her Cinnamon Sugar Pull apart bread recipe, which had layers of yeasty, buttery bread, spread with cinnamon, sugar and browned butter. 

I made one batch, sticking to the recipe, then a Parmesan version, which was one of my first blog posts. Now I have made one with dried apricots.  Be warned, this is very high in calories and very sticky.  But if you are OK with these two things, read on.

  
(Adapted from Joy the Baker's Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart Bread)

Ingredients

Dough
350 grams (2 3/4 cups) and 5 tablespoons bread flour
50 grams (1/4 cup) sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
50 grams butter
3 fluid oz (1/3 cup) milk 8.45
2 fluid oz (1/4 cup) water
2 large eggs
100 grams dried apricots

Filling
200 grams (1 cup) sugar)
100 grams dried apricots
50 grams butter

Extras
Icing sugar
chocolate

Heat the milk until warm, then add two tablespoons of the sugar and the yeast.  Set aside until it becomes foamy.

Pulse the apricots, set half aside, then add the remaining sugar, butter and the eggs to the processor and pulse again.



Sift the flour, create a well in the middle and pour the yeast mixture and the water in, then the apricot mixture.  This will be too sticky to hand knead at the moment, so mix thoroughly with a spoon.  Allow to rise for at least an hour.


Now time to add the extra flour - I'll be honest, this is a judgement call; you don't want to add too much so the flour, butter, egg ratio is out, but it cannot be too sticky to roll.  I used an extra 5 tablespoons, you may need more or less.

For the filling, brown the butter, (heat butter until it foams), allow to cool, then mix with the sugar and remaining apricot mixture.

Now time to roll the dough.  Roll into a rectangle (approx 1cm thick) then spread the filling on top


Slice into four pieces length ways then stack on top of each other.  Then slice into six pieces, flip onto the cut side up and place in a loaf tin as below.


Place in the oven for about 30 mins at 200oC and place on a colling rack.

When cooled, dust icing sugar and chocolate shavings on top. 

Great with a cup of coffee!




3 comments:

  1. Ah I LOVE Joy's site- it is always full of inspiration, makes me chuckle and has beautiful photos. SO pleased to hear this recipe was such a success- it sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Joy was the first foodie blog I read and she is one of my inspirations along with Pioneer Woman. I aspire next to be able to do what you do, adapt recipes and make them successful and edible. I'm on my way....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to try that pull apart bread forever! Your variation looks tasty. Do you live in England? My hubby is from London so we visit quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete