Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Beignets with an Oreo centre

Another Oreo recipe; one more and I might have to change the name of my blog to Daydream about Oreos.

Whilst reading one of my favourite blogs, Adventures of a Foodie, I noticed a reference to Oreo filled beignets....Oreo filled what?  Time to ask Mr Google...ah, they are French for fritter, similar to doughnuts and none of the recipes are on UK sites so I need to use the converter and my flippin calculator.  These had better taste good!

I have a confession - I'm a tiny bit averse to deep frying.  Not sure why because I've cooked sugar based things to very high temperatures without panicking, but deep frying makes me think of the old fire safety adverts and a particularly scary episode of Spooks, (don't ask me to elaborate...if you are a fan of the show you will know exactly which one I'm talking about!)

Anyway, enough about my phobias, this is a food blog not a group therapy session...So, to cut a long story short, I needed a baked beignet recipe, which the nice people at Good Housekeeping provided, albeit with cup measurements and a strange cup to gram converter which promised me the world and failed miserably.  Fortunately, I had the foresight a month ago to include a conversion chart on my blog...check it out, it's not as cool as a fancy calculator but coding charts is not my strong point.

I wondered whether an Oreo centre would work if if was baked; would it go all weird or would it take the beignet to cake heaven?  I decided to spread an Oreo and cream cheese mix above and below a whole Oreo to  ensure a slight moistness, which I feared may be lost if there was just beignet and Oreo.

The combination worked really well.  My partner,the fussiest eater in the world and a doughnut purist, was stuffing his face with them.  
(Adapted from  Good Housekeeping)

Ingredients:
Beignet:
1/4 cup (2 fl Oz) warm water
1 packet active dry yeast
3 cups (380g) bread flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

1 tsp salt
1/4 cup (50 g) sugar

50g butter (cold)

1 egg
3/4 cup (3 fl Oz) buttermilk (or milk with a squeeze of lemon juice)
Filling
1 pack Oreos
100g cream cheese
50g sugar

Decoration
Icing sugar

Method
Place the yeast and a teaspoon of the sugar into the warm water.  Leave to stand for five minutes

Sift the flour, bicarb, baking soda and remaining sugar into a bowl.  Cut the butter into small pieces and rub into the flour mixture until it resembles crumbs.



Beat the egg and place this and the buttermilk into the yeast, which should now be frothy.

Make a well in the flour and butter mixture and pour the yeast in.  Knead for a couple of minutes, cover, then allow to prove for five minutes.



Take 8 biscuits out of the packet then crush the rest of them and mix with the cream cheese and sugar



Knead the mixture again, separate into two pieces then roll out until about 5cm thick. 

Cut into four pieces, spread about a teaspoon of the Oreo and cream cheese mixture on each one.



place an Oreo on top.  Spread another teaspoon of the mixture on top.

Dab a little water around the edges of the dough then fold in like an envelope.  Place on a greased baking tray and allow to prove for an extra ten minutes

Bake for approx 15 minutes (check after ten - test the bottom of the beignet; if it sounds hollow when you tap it, all is good)

Place on a rack and sift icing sugar on top.  The inside looks like this:





This is the first time I have made this type of dough and, believe me, it's incredibly easy to make; the dough is easy to work with and the bicarb and baking powder combined with the yeast mean a much quicker proving time.

9 comments:

  1. 3 Words for this : Oh My Goodness....
    and a few more words. How did the crunchiness of the oreo work inside the beignet? I have a nutella addiction I think it would work well here too... you are very inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a beignet before. So it's kind of like a donut with oreos inside. Wow...I'm sure those didn't last long at your house! Bet your partner will be asking you to make these again and again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often just polish off the container of oreo's as is, but these look worth using self control and baking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys. The oreo is soft when cooked and the cream cheese oreo mix around it helps with the moistness. I forgot to say that the cooking temp is 200oC and these are best eaten on the day or just freeze them. Like the nutella idea. I might try that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do come up with some interesting recipes. These sound heavenly. I share your deep frying aversion - partly from the safety aspect but also it seems like a monumental waste of oil and I hate waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mentioned that this is the first time that you made this type of dough. What makes it different from the other dough's you made in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are absolutely delightful! I'll definitely try this recipe tomorrow. I was hoping I could make some of these for my special someone. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete