Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Vanilla Cheesecake with an Oreo base and Dehydrated Strawberries


I have an amazing memory of events if they are connected to food: I remember the day I vowed never to cremate a steak again after eating the tenderest, juiciest steak at a restaurant in London; I remember paying 3 Euros for the most extravagant and delicious breakfast spread ever in a Berlin suburb; I remember scoffing a decadent chocolate cake and frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity 3 in Manhattan, (OK I went there because of the film, but the food was yum, so it's allowed!)



I also remember the day I realised that I had never eaten a proper cheesecake until I went to a small deli in Greenwich Village.  I had only ever eaten the non baked kind, which, to be honest, left me fairly indifferent.  I was only when I snaffled a piece of my partner's cake that I realised what I had been missing.

In my opinion, the best cheesecake is vanilla with an Oreo base.  Strawberries are a great topping but I prefer to dehydrate them to intensify the flavour.

Ingredients:
Base
1 pack Oreo biscuits
50g butter

Filling (adapted from Good Food)
600g soft cheese
166g sugar
2 tbsp plain flour
2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
190 ml double cream
1 vanilla pod, split

Topping
Handful strawberries
Milk chocolate (about 100grams)
Dark chocolate (as above)

Preheat the oven to 200oC.  pulse the Oreos and melt the butter.



Combine both and cover a round tin, pressing the mixture down, (a silicon tin is best, as it's much easier to get the mixture out when cooked). Place in the fridge



Pulse the filling, ensuring that you scrape the outside of the processor a few times.  Pour into the tin and place in the oven for 10 minutes at 200oC then 25 minutes at 100oC.  Leave in the oven for 2 hours.


Before the cheesecake goes in the oven, slice the strawberries and place them on a baking tray.  Put on a baking sheet in the oven a the same time as the cheesecake and leave until everything comes out.


Melt the milk chocolate and paint on the strawberries. 


Paint some lines of chocolate on another baking sheet


Place both in the fridge.  When cooled, peel off and place on top of the cake (when completely cooled).  Grate some dark chocolate on top.


Enjoy:)

5 comments:

  1. I've never had a cheesecake with an Oreo crust before but I know I would love it! And you can't go wrong with chocolate and strawberries! I'm sure this cheesecake is hard to resist!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by. Glad to discover your site. I've learnt many interesting things just from this blog post - how to dehydrate strawberry (funnily enough I was thinking of it this evening while watch a cooking show!). And never tried Oreo cookie base. Now I am craving...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I've never successfully made a cheesecake but I really wanna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good job! Thanks for sharing, it looks yummy :D

    ReplyDelete