Saturday, 28 May 2011

Shaved Asparagus and Pea Pesto Pizza - finally with the pictures



Another post with green food...entirely coincidental I assure you. 
Now I have started blogging my creations I constantly have my trusty iPhone to hand to snap every process but on this occasion, I wasn't entirely convinced that it would work so no photos were taken. Doh!

But I am so exited about this recipe that I'm blogging the ingredients and method now and will update with pictures during the week when I make another batch.  It's going against my need to have pictures accompanying the post but I can't wait to share the cool recipe!
I have been wanting to put shaved asparagus on a pizza since seeing a really cool recipe on Smitten Kitchen.  It looked so fresh, which is not normally something you would associate with your standard cheesy, meaty pizza.

I wanted to use a pesto of sorts for the base and thought about using peas in it for a touch of sweetness.  OK, it's not technically pesto as there are no nuts, but we have parmesan and olive oil  - can I still call it a pesto?   

I decided to do a dummy run to test the combinations and invited my family round for pizza tasting.  My sister was concerned with the choice of base, "Peas.....really?.....OK..."  I had second thoughts and decided to hedge my bets, making a second pizza with mozzarella and pepperoni.

I should have stuck solely to my green pizza vision because it went quicker than the mega cheesy one.

I've linked to my previous post for the dough recipe with a slight alteration to the cooking method; I'm still all about pulling the pizza to get it really thin but now I have learnt that griddling the base first in a heavy saucepan makes the base just as crispy as putting direct on the oven shelf; the added bonus being that you can make ahead of time and then place it on a normal baking sheet.

Inspired by Smitten Kitchen Asparagus Pizza
Pizza Dough (link here for my pizza dough recipe)
frozen peas (I used about 100g)
Parmesan  - as much or as little as you like
Bunch Asparagus
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Preheat the oven to 220oC

Separate the proven dough into four pieces. Prise each piece apart until it forms a round approx the size of your griddle pan.  Heat the pan until screaming hot then carefully drop the dough in.  Wait for a couple of mins and gently lift one of the sides with a spatula to see it there are grill marks.  If so, flip over and briefly heat on the other side for a minute  - we don't want this side crispy yet.  Set aside and allow to cool slightly.

Flash cook the peas in a pan and pulse with some parmesan shavings, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Allow to cool.


Hold the asparagus from the base and peel long strips with a vegetable peeler.  Toss with salt pepper and olive oil.


Spread the pea pesto on the base and place the asparagus on top.



Shave some parmesan on top and place in a very hot oven (220oC) for approx 10 minutes


 
Eat with a crisp salad and feel the love for a healthy pizza.

7 comments:

  1. I was visiting Lucy at The Sweet Touch when I stumbled upon this blog! I love it! Your recipes are so very creative! I look forward to enjoying you regularly! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I love peas and asparagus, so I'm sure I'd adore this pizza! And yeah...you can still call it a pesto even though there's no nuts in the sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I think I would certainly be up for a green pizza. Especially if the green is asparagus and peas. Will come back to check out the pictures when you do them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I made a shaved asparagus pizza earlier in the spring but now I want to try it again with your pesto! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with this combination of veggies! Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great!! I love the combination of veggies.

    pizza battersea

    ReplyDelete