Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Cake Damage Control: Chocolate Fridge Cake



I was cooking like a crazy person this morning and thought I would wing it on the timings of my chocolate cake...above is the result!  Let's just say whilst I wanted the inside slightly undercooked, I wasn't expecting a molten centre.



It was a yummy chocolate cake; It still tasted amazing.  I had to think on my feet quickly to save the cake....
I looked around  my kitchen for inspiration: loads of Lindt Chilli Chocolate, Jaffa Cakes and yoghurt coated cereal bars...fridge cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Fridge cake is basically a biscuit or cake base held together with melted chocolate, then left to set in the fridge.  If I had any dried fruit or nuts lying around, these would have gone in too, but sadly I didn't

This is a very simple recipe.  You need a cake, about 2 bars of chocolate and any other cake friendly ingredient.  Mash the cake until it resembles crumbs


melt the chocolate, add a small amount of alcohol, pour into the mixture.  Add the extra ingredients.



put in a lined baking tray or silicone tray.  Press down firmly and refrigerate.



Ingredients:
Any cake or use recipe below:
Chocolate Cake:
165g flour
40g cocoa powder
20g ground almonds
225g butter
225g sugar
4 eggs
50g chocolate
extras
200g chocolate
2 tbsp ground almonds
handful biscuits (I used Jaffa cakes and yogurt coated biscuits)
Small amount of whiskey

Method:
If using chocolate cake recipe above, preheat the oven to 180oC.  Sift the flour, cocoa and ground almonds.  Melt the butter and the chocolate and mix with the eggs.  Add this to the flour and cocoa and pour into a lined cake tin, or silicone tin and cook for approx half an hour or until slightly wobbly on top, (if you are just making the chocolate cake and not turning it into a fridge cake, do the skewer test and if you want to slightly under cook it, leave in the tin until completely cooled).

For the fridge cake, let the cake cool slightly, then place into a bowl and mash up.  Add the crushed up biscuits and anything else you fancy.  Melt the chocolate, add some whiskey, pour onto the cake mixture and mix well. 

Put back into the cake tin and press down well. Place in the fridge.

Remember, any cake can be saved by using chocolate as glue



4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've never seen anything like this but I like the way you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful and I learned about fridge cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the cake looks delicious and I have now learned what a fridge cake is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! A great way to turn a great tasting disaster into something even more fabulous.

    ReplyDelete