Wednesday, 25 May 2011

The Avocado Experiment: Mint, Pistachio and Avocado Cake

                              
I was reading an amazing article the other day that was celebrating the simple Victoria sponge recipe and how you could use this as the basis for many other cakes. I am one of those people that comes up with a cool cake idea then spends an eternity scrabbling around the net or my cooking books for the basic cake quantities to avoid guesstimating the amount of flour, sugar and butter.



This article gave me a clear recipe that I can remember: 225 grams flour butter and sugar and 4 eggs. Now for the avocado experimental cake.......

I have made a few avocado cakes; one of my more successful ones was I a chocolate avocado cake, which even my avocado hating partner liked (probably because I didn't tell him they were in there!) but I felt like the avocado was being hidden by the chocolate.

I started to think about combinations to go with avocado that would also support the green element - let's not hide the fact we are making a green cake- if it's going to be green its got to be GREEN!

I love pistachios with avocado in a salad so this was a given. I was then toying between mint and lime. My sister kindly pointed out that it would taste like guacamole with the lime which put me off.

I settled on mint for three reasons: Its yum, it compliments the avocado and it's GREEN. 

Ingredients
225 g flour
225 g avocado
225 g sugar
4 eggs
Handful pistachios
Handful mint  (bear in mind that this is a strong flavour so if you want it as more of a background flavour, use a couple of leaves)
Handful seeds

Method
Pulse the sugar, mint and pistachios. 




Add the avocado and pulse until smooth, (we don't want any whole avocado pieces in the cake - not a good texture).  Keep the processor running while you add one egg at a time.

Sift the flour into a bowl and mix together with the seeds and the avocado batter.

Pour into a greased tin (I used a loaf tin), sprinkle some seeds on top and cook for approx 30 mins (do the dip test after twenty - the skewer needs to be clean). 



Leave to cool on a rack

This cake feels healthier with avocado instead of butter and with loads of seeds.  It's also quite refreshing with the mint, but as mentioned before, I wouldn't add too much of this ingredient if you're not a huge fan of it - it can be quite overpowering if used in large quantities.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really creative recipe! Can you actually taste the avocado? I might have to try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy. Its more of a background flavour, just adding a slight richness. It also makes the cake quite light. When i make it again I'll add more seeds because they add a great texture. I'm also trying to think up a mint tea recipe to go with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to try it! Sounds really good, and I'll bet it would be great with a mojito! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheila, loving the mojito idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avocado? Now that's really creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks so good! I'll have it to give it a shot. I've been wanting to make an avocado cake for a while. I actually just made some avocado popsicles yesterday (haven't tried them yet as I was waiting for them to freeze), but they're gorgeous! This really great shade of green. Green cake is totally next!!

    ReplyDelete