Thursday, 28 April 2011

Chocolate and Chilli Brownie Cake

We are having a tea party in front of the television tomorrow.  This has been a tradition since I was a small child watching Charles and Diana get married when my mother dressed me up in a red, white and blue dress.  I'll be honest, I'm fairly indifferent to the wedding, however I always like a picnic and an excuse to bake a cake. 

I spent some time deciding what kind to bake; a delicate angel cake? a traditional Victoria sponge cake?  Or, a Chocolate cake?  For a chocolate lover, the decision was easy, and to make it a brownie cake, even easier - if you like chocolate it's mega dense and moist.

My next task was to find a recipe; when it comes to cakes, my first port of call is this book;

It was a present from my partner; I started cooking recipes from it as soon as I unwrapped it.  There are about 10 pages of yummy brownie recipes; I checked out a few and decided to mix it up a bit and throw in some chopped white chocolate, a splash of orange and a background flavour of chilli.  Chocolate and chilli are one of the best couplings in the world ever. 

Cakes always need icing in my opinion and this one has a basic chocolate butter cream topping; it's not too crazy because I didn't want to detract from the brownie.

Ingredients:
Brownie (adapted from Double Chocolate Brownie, 1001 Cupcakes, Cookies)
115 grams butter
90 grams dark chocolate
25 grams chilli chocolate
300 grams caster sugar
2 large eggs
140 grams flour
2 tsp chilli chocolate flakes
1/2 an orange
100 grams white chocolate

Butter cream
270 grams icing sugar
40 grams cocoa powder
225 grams butter (softened)
2 tbsp milk

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.  The butter is going to be burnt for extra flavour; heat the butter until it starts to foam and change colour slightly.  Take of the heat and stir the dark and chilli chocolate in

Add the Choc Chilli Flakes, courtesy of Hotel Chocolate - the best Chocolatiere in the UK!

Allow to cool slightly then add the eggs, sifted flour, sugar and the orange juice.
Cut the white chocolate into chunks - don't worry about being too even or too small; rustic is cool.  Add to the mix...

 Mix together and pour into a circle tin (lined if not using a silicone one - and if you don't have one, get one!)

Bake for approx 35-40 mins or until a skewer comes out fairly clear - you want the inside slightly undercooked but not too much.  A big brownie no no is allowing the inside to cook completely; dry brownies are up there with watery pasta, split sauces and cremated steaks - just stay close to the oven at around 25 mins into the cooking and keep an eye on them..

Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly then transfer to a cooling rack.

The butter icing is simple as long as you have soft butter.  I remember a while ago making icing with hard butter and realised that there were flecks of butter in the icing - in a sweet dish this is not pleasant.  Mix the ingredients together and spread over the completely cooled cake.  Go crazy and decorate further, like I did:


6 comments:

  1. This looks really tasty! Have fun watching the Royal wedding - I'm attempting to get up at 5am to watch:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy. Thanks very much. I have to say, it's very yummy and i've already eaten a slice and was suposed to wait until tomorrow...oh well! Have fun watching the wedding too - don't envy the 5am start though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nic, those look great.
    although i willl admit that i'm scared of the spicy sweet combos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do agree that chilli and chocolate are a fantastic pairing. No surprises there I guess, since as far as I'm aware it was the very first one. Your cake sound fantastic and I guess I'd better book mark it or I shall forget all about it - only because my list of things to make is so long, not because this isn't worth remembering :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic recipe! It looks delicious -- love all the different chocolates you used. Could go for a slice right now, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a another way on how to prepare your browni , another way to present your browni to your Family and friends, and how yummy it is, especially the peppermint.

    ReplyDelete